wins 2009 Distinguished Alumni Award from uindy
Indianapolis, June 11, 2009
Swaran Dabgotra/Gary Singh
NRI Beenu Sikand, who helped the Asian Community with their transition
into the Indianapolis Area, was awarded Distinguished Alumni Award
2009 by University of Indianapolis.
Purpose of this award is to recognize outstanding professional
accomplishments or long standing devoted service in a chosen occupation
or profession. The level of accomplishment or service must clearly
distinguish the alumnus or alumna among his or her peers. And
Criteria of this award is the individual must have rendered service
to others in such a direct and profound manner as to have materially
improved the quality of life for others over a significant period
of time or achieved and sustained a significant regional or national
reputation for accomplishments and service in a particular profession.
Beenu Sikand moved to the United States from India in 1992. Shortly
after arriving she received her MBA from University of Indianapolis.
She began her first business endeavor by opening Desi Insurance
Agency. In 2002, she became a licensed real estate agent. All
of her years of hard work began to pay off in 2005, when she began
relocating Indian families to the Indianapolis Area. She has received
countless awards and nominations from her excellence in this field.
She is also a proud owner of a Travel agency. She launched a magazine
called 'Guldusta' in 2006. She helps any South Asian needy woman
who does not have any relatives in America. She established her
businesses and gained a special recognition in the Indian community.
In 2006 Beenu was a nominee to Starkey Entrepreneurial Award for
an inspiration to women business owner.
She assists with hosting events that caters to the Indian Community.
Helping families who needs help with education, jobs or going
through tough divorces. She has been featured many times in var
ious Newspapers. She educate main stream about Indian and Sikh
community. She is a committee member of Community Alliance for
Beenu is very influential to all women. She has stepped outside
the box that most Indian Woman are raised to believe in. She has
become successful and has three beautiful children. This motivates
other women that they too can follow her footsteps and become
whatever they want to be, without being dependant on anyone.
• Centurion 2005 and Grand centurion 2006,
• National Leadership Award 2006 from NRCC (National Republican
• Nominee for Starkey Entrepreneurial Woman Award.
• 2006 Businesswoman of the Year Honoree (NRCC)
• 2007 Punjabi woman realtor of the year
• 2009 Distinguished alumni award, University Of Indianapolis
• She is a licensed Insurance agent. She has an insurance
agency (Desk Insurance Agency)
for the last 9 years.
• She owns a magazine named"Guldusta".
• She was a Board Member for India Association and a treasurer
for 2 years in a row with
them as well
• She is a member of the Metropolitan board of Realtors
• Member of the National and Indiana Association of Realtors.
• She is committee member of IDWN (Indiana Diversity Women
• She is a member of Nawbo (National Association of Women
• Working closely with Asian services of Indiana as an Indian
• Member of Asian American alliance and help bring her community
involved in American
• Committee Member of Community Alliance For Education.(CAFÉ)
• Centurion 2005 & Grand Centurion 2006 Award from Century
• 2006 Business Woman of the Year Nominee (NRCC)
• According to IBJ, Beenu was Ranked 4th in Indianapolis
as an n All Star solo agent.
• In 2005 & 2006.Ranked #2 in Indiana and Ohio in 2006
for Century 21.