Connecting over 25 millions NRIs worldwide
Most trusted Name in the NRI media
Simran Singh, 21, student's suspicious death




Suspicious death

We, sikhs are concerned and want to know why the other occupants of the car were released so early in the investigation. Police said Singh allegedly became violent and other occupants of the vehicle restrained him. After a short time, Singh became unresponsive.
Actually, some papers report that he died after a physical confrontation in the vehicle and most of the media say- this is a suspicious death, said one sikh, who did not want to be identified .......Surinder Singh, VA


NRI Sikh, Simran Singh, 21, student's suspicious death, Arlington Police Investigating

ARLINGTON, VA, Aug, 12, 2007
Darshan Singh

The Arlington County Police Department’s Homicide/Robbery Unit are investigating a suspicious death that occurred in a vehicle in the early morning at approximately 1:20 am on August 4, 2007

Simran Singh, 21, of Burke, was a passenger in a car, traveling with four other people, southbound on I-395 from Washington, D.C. into Arlington. Mr. Singh, who knew the other occupants of the vehicle, reportedly became violent while the vehicle was in motion. The other occupants responded to Mr. Singh’s behavior by restraining him. After a short period of time, they noticed that Mr. Singh was not responsive.

The driver of the car pulled to the side of the highway in Arlington and 911 was called. The driver performed CPR on Mr. Singh until medical personnel arrived. Mr. Singh was taken to Inova Alexandria Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 2:09 am.

Arlington detectives immediately began investigating the incident and the investigation is ongoing. The cause of death has not yet been determined and no criminal charges have been filed. Their names were not released.

A spokesman for Mr. Singh's family yesterday said relatives of Mr. Singh are following the investigation closely.

The family called in the Sikh American Legal Defense and Education Fund. The group, said spokesman Rajbir Singh Datta, had received dozens of calls from Sikhs across the region who knew the family and were alarmed by the circumstances.

Datta said the family was initially told that Singh was accidentally suffocated and were relieved to hear police characterize the death as suspicious. They feel skeptical, he said, adding that Singh had been out with one of the people in the car on Thursday and had come home bruised and "was acting scared and shaken up," he said.

Arora said Singh knew only that one person of the four in the vehicle, a friend from Woodson High School who had become a Marine and gone to Iraq.

Simran was a student at George Mason University.

"It may take several weeks for the medical examiner’s report before the cause of death is determined," said Detective Steve Gomez of the department’s media office.