Harry Sidhu for California State Assembly District 68 Run Launched
While Honoring the Indian Ambassador
Mrs. Nirupama Rao and Congressman Ed Royce
Anaheim, California, Sep. 20, 2013
NRIpress-Club, R. Srinivasan, Photos/Video: S. Natarajan
Mr. Harry Sidhu, former Mayor ProTem of the City of Anaheim and his wife Mrs. Gin Sidhu hosted a Special Reception to Mrs. Nirupama Rao, the Ambassador of India to the U.S.A., and , the U.S. Congressman Ed Royce along with his wife Marie Royce on September 14, 2013 at their home in Anaheim Hills.
Many dignitaries and prominent businessmen were invited. According to Gurdishpal Singh, notable among them were State Senator Mimi Walters, Orange County Sheriff Sandra Hutchens, Orange County District Attorney Tony Rackauckus, and other leading businessmen in California. Ambassador Rao was visiting the vicinity of Orange County, California, at the invitation of Representative Royce who is a key congressional leader for the area and in the field of foreign policy. Representative Royce has been a dedicated supporter of India and India-U.S. relations, and he continues to be an active member and a leading voice of the Congressional Caucus on India and Indian Americans.
Congressman Ed Royce, Marie Royce, Ambassador Mrs. Nirupama Rao, Orange County District Attorney Tony Rackauckus, Orange County Sheriff Sandra Hutchens,Gin Sidhu and Harry Sidhu
Ambassador Mrs. Nirupama Rao thanked Chairman Royce and his wife Marie Royce for their invitation, saying that she counted them among her closest friends in the United States. She especially thanked Former Anaheim Mayor Pro Tem Harry Sidhu and his wife Gin Sidhu for hosting such a wonderful welcome reception. She said that her career in the US began in 1983, returned to the US on many occasions in various official capacities, and her tenure here will end in November. Mrs. Rao, in her address said:
- India and the US have embarked on a strategic partnership of progress, and the trade/investments of the US Companies, mostly the fortune 500, amounts to about $100 Bn., and there are about 30 areas where dialogue between these two countries is taking place.
- The "great resurgence" in India-U.S. ties as a partnership in a "state of irreversible excellence" and "with its sights firmly set on the future.
- The "natural affinity" between the peoples of the two countries, emphasizing that India and the U.S. were "natural partners in the advancement of common goals of peace, prosperity and development for all of humanity.”
- Prime Minister of India Dr. Manmohan Singh will be visiting with the US President Mr. Obama in a few weeks to strengthen the relationship.
Congressman Ed Royce praised Ambassador Rao's determined efforts in promoting India-U.S. cooperation in a variety of endeavors. In his address Ed Royce said:
- The role of the India Caucus in the transformation of India-U.S. relations over the last two decades, which he described as "phenomenal" and "based on same interests and values.
- The expanding of India-U.S. trade relations and counter-terrorism cooperation is among his priorities, and he specifically commended the role of the Indian American community in building a closer India-U.S. partnership with their talent and determination.
Mr. Harry Sidhu thanked the guests, especially Congressman Ed Royce who encouraged him to enter politics, after which he had been elected Mayor ProTem of the City of Anaheim for two terms. He indicated what a distinct privilege it has been to have the support of the Indo-American community in all of his public service efforts, especially his two consecutive terms - 8 years of serving as the first Indo-American on the Anaheim City Council.
Sidhu also stated that he had recently formed a 2014 Exploratory Campaign Committee for State Assembly District 68, and should that seat open, he would welcome the challenge and opportunity of serving in this great elected office through common sense leadership, and the ongoing support of Republican Leaders such as Representative Royce and State Senator Mimi Walters.
Sidhu also thanked his wife Gin, his son Rohan, mother-in-law Harbhajan Bansal and his daughter Sugina Sidhu, a student of University of Southern California, who was not present due to her making a documentary film
In closing, Sidhu said that: “In the spirit of unity, there is strength, and the light of unity is so powerful - it can light the entire world. Always, remember that by working together, we can make a meaningful difference throughout the world.”