NRI Usha Reddi takes oath as Kansas state Senator
Los Angeles, Jan.13, 2023
NRIpress.club/Ramesh/ A.Gary Singh
NRI Usha Reddi took oath as senator in the US state of Kansas, replacing current Manhattan Senator Tom Hawk, who announced his retirement last month. The appointment follows current Manhattan Senator Tom Hawk’s announcement last month that he is retiring from the Legislature.
About USHA REDDI
- Reddi has served on the Manhattan City Commission since 2013.
- During that period, she served twice as mayor.
- She was the first NRI to serve as a mayor in Kansas, first in 2016 and then again in 2020.
- Previously, she was an educator in Manhattan-Ogden public schools, where she served a term as President of their National Education Association chapter.
- Usha has lived in Manhattan for more than 28 years.
- She earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Developmental Psychology from Ohio State University, a Bachelor of Science degree in Elementary Education
- And a Master of Science in Educational Leadership from Kansas State University.
- She taught 1st grade for over 10 years and is currently on a leave of absence from Manhattan-Ogden USD383.
- Usha Reddi who migrated to the US along with her parents in 1973 from Andhra Pradesh when she was eight.
- She was raised in Columbus, Ohio, along with her two brothers.
- She and her husband, Brian, have four adult children: Ben, Ravi, Sri and Santhi.
Reddi will complete the remainder of Senator Tom Hawk’s term, which expires in 2025. Reddi’s committee assignments will be announced in the coming days.