NRI Navy veteran Shanti Sethi
appointed Kamala Harris’s defence advisor
Los Angeles, April. 20, 2022
NRIpress.club/Ramesh/ A.Gary Singh
NRI Shanti Sethi has joined Vice President Kamala Harris’s office as her executive secretary and defence advisor, according to a media report. Sethi, the first NRI commander of a major US Navy combat ship, recently joined Vice President Harris’ office, Politico quoted vice president’s senior advisor Herbie Ziskend saying.
In her new role, Sethi coordinates National Security Advisor documentation across the Office of the Vice President, . Sethi commanded the guided-missile destroyer, USS Decatur, from December 2010 to May 2012. She was also the first female commander of a US naval vessel to visit India.When she joined the Navy in 1993
- Shanti Sethi is an American naval officer and the only Indian-American woman and the 15th female officer to command a major US Navy combat warship.
- She commanded the guided missile destroyer USS Decatur from 15 December 2010 to May 2012. From 2021-2022, she served as the Navy's Senior Military Advisor to the Secretary of the Navy.
- She has been detailed from the Navy to the Office of the Vice President as Executive Secretary and Defense Advisor.
- Captain Shanti Sethi is a native of Reno, Nevada.
- She graduated from Norwich University in 1993 with a degree in International Affairs.
- She also holds a Masters of International Policy and Practice from The George Washington University's Elliott School of International Affairs.