NRI Arvind Krishna Appointed CEO of IBM
Currently he is IBM Senior Vice President for Cloud and Cognitive Software
Hold PhD. in electrical engineering
Los Angeles, Jan 30, 2020
NRIpress.club/Ramesh/ A.Gary Singh
NRI Arvind Krishna, a PhD. in electrical engineering from the University of Illinois, was elected as Chief Executive Officer of the IBM company by the Board of Directors, effective April 6, 2020.
Arvind is currently IBM Senior Vice President for Cloud and Cognitive Software, and was a principal architect of the company's acquisition of Red Hat.
Current Chairman, President and CEO, Virginia Rometty, will continue as Executive Chairman of the Board and serve through the end of the year, when she will retire after almost 40 years with the company. James Whitehurst, IBM Senior Vice President and CEO of Red Hat, was also elected by the Board as IBM President, effective April 6, 2020.
- Virginia Rometty of IBM acquired 65 companies, built out key capabilities in hybrid cloud, security, industry and data, and AI both organically and inorganically, and successfully completed one of the largest technology acquisitions in history.
- She reinvented more than 50% of IBM's portfolio, built a $21 billion hybrid cloud business and established IBM's leadership in AI, quantum computing and blockchain, while divesting nearly $9 billion in annual revenue to focus the portfolio on IBM's high value, integrated
Virginia Rometty said:
- Arvind Krishna has grown IBM's Cloud and Cognitive Software business and led the largest acquisition in the company's history.
- Arvind is a brilliant technologist who has played a significant role in developing our key technologies such as artificial intelligence, cloud, quantum computing and blockchain.
- He is also a superb operational leader, able to win today while building the business of tomorrow.
- Through his multiple experiences running businesses in IBM, Arvind has built an outstanding track record of bold transformations and proven business results, and is an authentic, values-driven leader.
- He is well-positioned to lead IBM and its clients into the cloud and cognitive era."
Arvind Krishna said:
- I am thrilled and humbled to be elected as the next Chief Executive Officer of IBM, and appreciate the confidence that Ginni and the Board have placed in me," said Krishna.
- IBM has such talented people and technology that we can bring together to help our clients solve their toughest problems.
- I am looking forward to working with IBMers, Red Hatters and clients around the world at this unique time of fast-paced change in the IT industry.
- We have great opportunities ahead to help our clients advance the transformation of their business while also remaining the global leader in the trusted stewardship of technology
Now Arvind Krishna is IBM Senior Vice President for Cloud and Cognitive Software, where he leads the IBM business unit that provides the cloud and data platform on which IBM's clients build the future.
- His current responsibilities also include the IBM Cloud, IBM Security and Cognitive Applications business, and IBM Research.
- Previously, he was general manager of IBM's Systems and Technology Group's development and manufacturing organization.
- Prior to that he built and led many of IBM's data-related businesses.
- He has an undergraduate degree from the Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, and a PhD. in electrical engineering from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. He joined IBM in 1990.