Most trusted Name in the NRI media
Serving over 22 millions NRIs worldwide


  • Washington, Mar 29: Police announced a cash reward of USD 25,000 for information leading to the assailant who stabbed to death of NRI Sikh Ranjit Singh, 20 on 3.00 am Sunday.


Washington, March 28, 2005 (9.30 am)

NRI Ranjit Singh, 20, from New Jersey Friday night went to see 'Bhangra Blowout at Washington. This annual bhangra blowout organized by George Washington University students was to end at 3 am. Ranjit was stabbed with a sharp knife by a man of either Latin American or Indian ethnicity, wearing a white shirt and braces in his teeth. Two friends of Ranjit Singh pursued the attacker until they were stabbed by him. Police said the attacker escaped in a green car. His two friends have not been identified because they are considered as witnesses of this tragedy.

Two years back, Ranjit immigrated from Punjab and worked seven days a week, nights, as a convenience store clerk. This Friday weekend was the first time he had taken a break.

Annual "bhangra blowout" has become one of the largest events for NRIs college students and NRIs. The competition on Sunday drew teams from nine colleges seeking to show off their skill at the Punjabi folk dance. University spokes man said it would conduct a full review of the 'Bhangra Blowout' and decide whether the 12 year-old annual event should be run differently, or if it should be held at all. This event of charity turned into a tragedy.

The stately Old Post Office Pavilion is a popular area for tourist. On Saturday at 6:30 pm the whole pavilion was shut down to cap off a weekend celebration Bhangra Blowout. Police are offering a reward for any information to catch attacker

Washington, March 28, 2005, 8.18 pm

The concert, which began at 7 p.m., was held at DAR Constitution Hall, less than a mile from the after party.

Another concert-goer, a Rutgers University student who didn't want to give his name, said although the party was supposed to end at 3 a.m. organizers shut it down around 2 a.m. in the middle of a performance.

When the Rutgers student said he left the building about 2:30 a.m. he saw people pushing and shoving before a group of about five or six people ran off. He said a man, who is believed to be Ranjit Singh, lay on the ground surrounded by people. His shirt was covered with blood.

The Rutgers student doubted the fight was related to the competition: "These parties can get crazy at times with alcohol and such."

George Washington University spokeswoman Tracy Schario said the party and dance competition were peaceful and had been a fund-raiser for tsunami relief efforts.

Ranjit Singh's family remembered him as a happy young man who often laughed.

He finished high school in India and worked in the United States with his father, who owns the Paul-Mart convenience store at 462 S. Main St. in Phillipsburg. A makeshift cardboard sign pulled in front of the door Sunday night signaled the store was closed.

"He worked hard and wanted his own business," Manjit Singh said.

Any comments on this article or you have any news: Click here

Disclaimer will put up as many of your comments as possible but we cannot guarantee that all e-mails will be published. We reserve the right to edit comments that are published.