NRI widow's 4 sons swept away by a big wave in a beach
KOTA TINGGI, Malaysia, Jan 28, 2009
On January 25, 2009, V. Letchumy, 52, widow's four children- S.
Netthiah, 17, Prasanah, 16, Gopi, 14 and Ganeswaran, 10, drowned
at sea after being swept away by a big wave of strong currents.
The children were on school holidays and whole family was on their
way to visit a relative when they requested their mother to let
them go for a swim. About 11.00am, she told her nephew, Veerasamy,
22 to take them swimming at Tanjung Balau.
S. Netthiah, 17 and and Ganeswaran, 10 were recovered dead after
1/2 hour about 50-60 meter away. Gopi was found about 1/2 mile away
at 9am, next day
Veerasamy, her nephew was survived and said:
- Upon reaching the beach, all of us went into the water.
- I came out because my leg felt painful and left them alone.
- I heard screams for help and then saw them struggling.
- I immediately jumped in the water to rescue them. I managed
to reach Gopi and Ganeswaran’s hands before my grip was
broken by a huge wave.
- After I myself almost drowned and I couldn’t see them
anymore, I limped back to the beach.
- I feel sad because there were a few other people on the beach,
yet not even one came to our aid. If they did, this tragedy could’ve
According to the local news media, 3-4 years back, her husband
died of a heart attack.