Britain to fund school that teaches Indian meditation
London, Aug 29, 2011: A school in Britain that teaches Indian-style meditation to students will now be funded by the government.
The Maharishi School in Skelmersdale, Lancashire, is run according to the teachings of Indian guru Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, who had The Beatles among his disciples, The Sun reported.
Four-year-old students attend meditation sessions at the start and end of each day of school.
The school - among the 24 getting government backing - says the sessions help relax pupils and improve their ability to learn.
Although the schools are government-funded, they will not have to follow the national curriculum, the report said.....NRIpress.com/IANS
Maharishi Mahesh Yogi: ), Mahesh Prasad Varma or Mahesh Srivastava (January 12, 1914 – February 5, 2008)
Maharishi Mahesh Yogi started and was the leader and guru of the TM movement. In 1955, the Maharishi had introduced the Transcendental Meditation (TM) technique and other related programmes and initiatives to the world. His first global tour began in 1958. In 1960, he became popular and known as Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.
Transcendental Meditation (TM)
technique is a simple, natural, effortless
procedure practiced 20 minutes twice each day
while sitting comfortably with the eyes closed.
It’s not a religion, philosophy, or lifestyle. It’s
the most widely practiced, most researched,
and most effective method of self-development. The TM technique is the most widely researched of all meditation techniques. Over 600 research studies have been conducted at more than 250 universities and research centers (including Harvard, UCLA, and Stanford). These studies have been published in more than 100 journals.
- In 1970, the Maharishi achieved fame as the guru to The Beatles and other celebrities. He started the TM-Sidhi programme, in the late 1970s that claimed to offer practitioners the ability to levitate and to create world peace. More than 5 million people studied his methods.
- In 2000, he created the Global Country of World Peace, a country without borders, and appointed its leaders.
- In 2008, the Maharishi announced his retirement from all administrative activities and went into mauna
- His associates created charitable organisations and for-profit businesses that include nearly 1,000 TM centres in India, Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom and Switzerland
- His Indian-style meditation started in schools and universities with campuses in several countries.
- His empire value range from the multi-millions to the billions of dollar.