12 NRIs & Indian get Sikh awards for pivotal contributions in New Delhi
New Delhi on October 03, 2015
This year, for its 6th edition, the coveted awards night made its maiden entry into India and was held at The Taj Palace Hotel, Sardar Patel Marg, Diplomatic Enclave, New Delhi on October 03, 2015
The Award ceremony is aimed at celebrating and recognizing the pivotal contributions made by the Sikh community across various fields like business, charity, education, entertainment, media, professional services, seva (selfless service), and sports. The awards are multicultural and include all faiths as it allows for the wider community to learn about Sikhs and what they are achieving around the world in their chosen field.
Amongst those who were seen supporting the cause were Raj Babbar, Sachin Ahuja, Princess Shanaz Hussian, Soli Sohrabjee, Dr. Guann- Jyh Lee, H.E. Dr. Sabit Subasic, H.E. Hassan M.AI Jawarneh, Virendra Kataria, Mr Robert Christopher, Aslam Sheikh, and Retired Major General Lakhwinder Singh and many more.
These prestigious awards were given to individuals or organizations in each category who have excelled in their specialist fields and those who have delivered their service in an exceptional and innovative way.
According to Mr. Navdeep Singh Bansal, Founder of The Sikh Awards, ‘I am delighted to host the sixth edition of the Sikh Awards in India, the homeland to Sikhs and Sikhism. As a Sikh, I have taken this responsibility to recognize, honor and celebrate the achievements of the successful, hard-working and ambitious Sikhs of the World. Sikhs, worldwide are not only tirelessly contributing socially, culturally and economically to the society but are also making a difference to people’s lives through philanthropy. I would also like to congratulate all the winners who have proved to be the beacons that shine on our future generation and will encourage them to continue to strive for excellence in their respective fields.’
The Sikh Awards 2015 Winners:
- SIKHS IN CHARITY – Mr. KULWANT SINGH (UK)-Kulwant Singh is the Global Ambassador of World Cancer Care a charity that has raised the awareness of cancer amongst the Punjabi community around the world and in particular Punjab, the cancer capital of the world.
- SIKHS IN EDUCATION - DR RAGHBIR SINGH BAINS (CANADA)-Raghbir Singh is a world known author of the first of its own kind ‘Encyclopaedia of Sikhism’ on multimedia technology released by the Honourable Prime Minister in the Parliament House of Canada.
- SIKHS IN ENTERTAINMENT - S MOHINDER SINGH SARNA (USA)-Soulful and legendary music director Mohinder Singh is among the last remaining maestros who gave us unforgettable melodies through Bollywood movies in the 1950’s, 60’s and 70’s. His first film was ‘Neeli’ (1950).
- SIKHS IN MEDIA –MR BAL SINGH SAMRA (UK)-Bal Singh Samra is a senior media executive with twenty years of experience and is now operating at the highest level in his field. He holds a number of roles in executive and non-executive capacities. Bal took up his most recent role as Managing Director of BBC Television in July 2014.
- SIKHS IN SPORTS –MR SUNDEEP SINGH SANDHU (UK)-Sundeep Singh is the captain of the UK Kabaddi team and has played many cups, leagues and Kabaddi World Cups. Under his captaincy, his team 'United Singhs' won its first World Kabaddi League Cup. He was the top stopper in the 2015 World Kabaddi League, successfully completing 154 stops.
- SIKHS IN SEVA - DR PARVINDER SINGH PASRICHA (INDIA)-Dr.Parvinder Singh Pasricha is a former Director General of Police, from Maharashtra. He is a recipient of two awards from the President of India, who recognised his vision and commitment. Dr. Parvinder Singh was entrusted with the responsibility of redeveloping Takhat Sri Hazur Sahib for commemorating the 300 years of Gur-ta-Gaddi.
- SIKHS PEOPLE’S CHOICE AWARD - MR KAVANJIT SINGH HAYRE (UK)-Kavanjit Singh, aged 25 is the Director and shareholder of Hayre Investments & Developments Ltd, Country Construction (UK) Ltd, Sanam Enterprise Ltd, Hayre Developments Ltd, DKH Investments Ltd and DKH Management Ltd, which are all under the umbrella of the Hayre Group.
- SIKHS IN PROFESSION - MR KARAN SINGH BAJWA (INDIA)- Karan Bajwa has 27 years of experience in Telecommunications and IT in the Asia Pacific region. Currently, he is the Managing Director for Microsoft India, he has also worked for organisations like Cisco and IBM.
- SIKHS IN BUSINESS - ENTREPRENUER - MR AJINDER PAL SINGH (BOTSWANA)-Ajinder Pal Singh is a prominent businessman based in Botswana. His business empire spreads across education, construction, tourism, airline, manufacturing and agriculture industries.
- SIKHS IN BUSINESS – BUSINESS WOMEN - MS INDIRA KAUR AHLUWALIA (USA)-Indira Kaur, an advocate and entrepreneur, built her career on enabling equality systemically on the strength of individual differences. In 2002, she established Development & Training Services, Inc.
- SIKHS IN BUSINESS – BUSINESS MAN – MR. KULDIP SINGH DHINGRA (INDIA)-Kuldip Singh is an Indian entrepreneur, philanthropist and chairman of Berger Paints since 1991. He was born in 1947 in a business family. Berger Paints India, is the country's second-largest paint maker, The Company currently has a net worth of $2.5billon.
- LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD – BIBI PRAKASH KAUR JI (INDIA)
NRI Dr Raghbir Singh Bains Honoured With ‘The Sikh Award in Education’
Delhi - Oct 3, 2015: Globally acclaimed Sikh scholar, educationist, lifetime achiever, a scintillating history maker and highly awarded community activist Dr Raghbir Singh Bains of Canada has been bestowed with the coveted ‘The Sikh Award in Education’ at a stunning and unforgettable award giving ceremony held at Taj Palace Hotel in Delhi which was managed and arranged by Navdeep Singh Director of the “Sikh Awards” Directorate of UK. His name further appears in the world’s first comprehensive list of the most powerful, influential and contemporary Sikhs of the World as published in “The Sikh100” for the year 2015.
The awards ceremony was attended by Lieutenant Governor of Puducherry Virendra Kataria, former MP Charanjit Singh and Raj Babbar, Delhi president of Shiromani Akali Dal and president of Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Committee Manjit Singh GK; Praveen Davar of the National Commission for Minorities, former chairperson of the commission Tarlochan Singh and other guests hailing from Asia, Europe, America, Canada, Middle East, Australia, Africa and other regions of the world.
The prestigious award has been conferred upon Dr Bains in recognition of his tremendous accomplishments through long years of selfless service to the global society in the fields of socio-religious, heritage and cultural arenas.
Virtually a living legend, Dr Raghbir Singh Bains is the first of its kind writer and creator of the ‘Encylopaedia of Sikhism’ on Multimedia technology which was released by the Prime Minister of Canada in the Canadian Parliament on Dec 11, 1996. He is proud record holding producer and director of six ‘Multimedia Sikh Museums’ on robotic and touch screen technology in the world. The first such museum was opened for public at Khadur Sahib on April 16, 2004. Dr Bains is highly awarded scholar, longtime philanthropist, environmentalist, experienced drug therapist, tireless volunteer and an energetic social worker. He is an iconic educator, researcher, cultural mentor and a multifaceted role model for all ages - rolled into one. Dr Bains is a nonstop volunteer who at the age of 80 still inspires others to do selfless service to the society and works for 16 hours a day. He himself stands for human liberty, equality, fraternity and wellbeing of the entire human race without any exceptions towards caste, colour, creed and region of an individual. He knows many languages and has widely travelled in the world to empower womanhood.
Raghbir Singh Bains of village Manak Dheri, Hoshiarpur has been a cow grazer and started doing volunteer work by cleaning the smelling streets of his village at the age of ‘Ten’. He had to abandon his educational career due to parental economic condition. Mr. Bains immigrated to Canada during the year 1990 and has since been working to eradicate various socio-economic and religio-cultural evils in North America, Asia, Europe, Africa, Australia and other countries of different regions.
In addition to authoring Encyclopaedia and creating Museums, Mr Bains has written classic books and is winner of dozens of local, national and international awards, honours, titles and accolades for doing selfless service to the global society which include Queen Elizabeth 11’s Diamond Jubilee Medal, Governor General’s Caring Canadian Award, Queen Elizabeth 11’s Golden Jubilee Medal, Prime Minister’s Volunteer Award Canada, Order of Khalsa, India, Sikh Scholar of Computer Age-Title, India, Panth Ratan Title from India, Order of British Columbia, Canada, Lifetime Achievement Award bestowed by the Parliamentarians of Canada, Good Citizen of Surrey Title BC, Canada and many more rare awards.
In giving gratitude for the award, Dr Bains said with humility, “I am humbled and blessed to receive this acclaimed award in India, my motherland. It is really a great honour. I thank Almighty Lord, my parents, family, friends, my role models, mentors, teachers, preachers and the people of multicultural society of the globe for supporting me to work for wellbeing, peace and prosperity of the global society. Bains further said, “I owe especially to my mother and wife who stood steadfast with me through all the odds, for countless long hours and through long years in my life”. He further said, “I must mention that volunteer service is a passion and commitment in my bones to serve the society. During hours of odd opposition, I looked towards sunshine and not the shadow. I succeeded. This award will further add to my commitment and responsibilities to further serve the global society in future with more passion and greater human zeal”. He thanked the organizers, jury members, selection board and especially the Director Navdeep Singh Bansal who worked day and night to make this event a success.
The winners of the awards included: Kulwant Singh UK who won the Sikh in Charity Award, Dr Parvinder Singh Pasricha former DGP won the Sikh in Seva Award. Mohinder Singh Sarna USA won the Sikh in Entertainment Award, Iqbal Singh Samra UK gets Sikh in Media Award, the Sikh Award in Education goes to Dr Raghbir Singh Bains of Canada, Karan Singh Bajwa gets the Sikh in Profession Award. Ajinderpal Singh of Botswana the Sikh Entrepreneur Award, Kuldip Singh Dhingra from India won the Sikh Businessman Award, Indra Kaur Ahluwalia USA won the Sikh Business Women Award, Sports Award goes to Sundeep Singh Sandhu UK, Sikh Lifetime Achievement Award goes to Bibi Parkash Kaur, Sikh People’s Award goes to Kavanjit Singh Hayre and special Award goes to HH Sheikh Mohammad Bin Rashid Maktoum Dubai.