NRI FATHER & SON SUCCESSFUL STORY IN PIZZA FRANCHISE BUSINESS
Stefano Langone, an American singer, and an ‘American Idol’ placed seventh, on the tenth season of ‘American Idol’ was the chief guest for the ‘Grand Opening’ of the ‘’ First Mountain Mike's Pizza’ in Lake Forest City
Los Angeles, Jan 08, 2011
Gary Singh/V. Pawar
Balbir Sekhon and his son Jag Sekhon, a Franchise Developer of Mountain Mike's Pizza in Southern California, opens his First Mountain Mike's Pizza in Lake Forest City, Orange County at a Prime Location - corner of Ridge Route drive and Muirlands Blvd. It was a very successful grand opening. There are more than 140 Mountain Mike’s Franchisee Restaurants in Northern California.
CLICK BIGGER VIEW AND MORE PHOTO----> Right Column
There is no greater way to attract the public to a ‘GRAND OPENING’ of your ‘BRAND NEW PLACE’, then to present a ‘Celebrity Appearance’ and offering something that everyone needs and feels they must have like a PIZZA. Whether for a single entity, or one, of hundreds of locations, presenting a celebrity appearance is a great way to introduce a store or a restaurant.
Stefano Langone, an American singer, and an ‘American Idol’ placed seventh, on the tenth season of ‘American Idol’ was the chief guest for the ‘Grand Opening’ of the ‘’ First Mountain Mike's Pizza’ in Lake Forest City, Orange County. Stefano advanced to the Top 13 through a wild card selection by Jennifer Lopez. Langone was voted off the show on April 21, 2011, finishing in 7th place. In January 2012, Langone announced that he has signed a record contract with Hollywood Records
Mayor, Mayer Pro Tem, and the Council member, to show support, also attended the event. The Crowd can be seen in the photos
The history of Balbir Singh Sekhon, is interesting, as well, and can serve as a great case study for anyone who thinks a little risk isn't worth the rewards it can bring. Read on!
Balbir worked for ‘Mountain Mike’s pizza’ for the past 20 years in Northern California and earned a good name with Mountain Mike owners by showing his integrity, honesty, hard work and family support. He owns 5 pizza places, liquor store and plaza centers.
His son, Jag Sekhon got his MBA and helped his father to established “Sekhon Franchise Development Group Inc” and got rights for expansion in Southern California. Jag Sekhon said, “Our Goal and Mission is to be involved in, and contribute to the community we are in”.
As we talked to Balbir Singh, we concluded that his success came from the following principles and beliefs:
- Husband-and-wife teams are very common as franchise owners. It makes sense, “If you have a successful marriage to apply it to the business world.”
- Encouraging Entrepreneurship in Your Children: Raising an entrepreneur is more than telling your child to make money; it’s about telling them to go against the crowd and follow their own intuition. Encouraging entrepreneurship within your children can teach them to be: Self-sufficient; an effective leader; a strong decision maker and confident in their ideas, and abilities to succeed.
Balbir told us, “His son, found these locations, remodeled, painted and added a lot of features, it’s unbelievable”. He would like to develop a franchise model in Southern California.
According to Jag Sekhon and a transcript from an interview of Mountain Mike's president, Brad Gordon, we added here:
As of February 2, 2011 there are142 Mountain Mike’s franchisee restaurants open or under construction, located principally in Northern and Central California, representing over $65 million of system wide revenue.
Indian community is one of the most important aspects of the Mountain Mike’s
Success Story. Our franchisee community is made up of approximately 65-70% of people who are direct immigrants from India or are now second generation Americans of Indian descent. The majority of these franchisees have family operated locations and many of our Indian franchisees are involved in multi-unit franchises. Our franchisees are well educated, hardworking and smart.
- Mountain Mike’s is a thriving California regional chain of Casual dining and Pickup and Delivery Pizza restaurants.
- It has continued to grow at a rate of 8 to 10 % through the tough economic times of 2008 to the present.
- Focusing more on Southern California as we move forward because we have significant opportunities in real estate that have made it more affordable in these markets than before.
- Since the opening of the first Mountain Mike’s restaurant in Palo Alto, CA in 1978, the Company has built its reputation for providing high quality, custom made pizzas using only the freshest ingredients, served in a fun, family oriented atmosphere.
- The Company was founded by Ernie Stuart who began his pizza career in1954, with Shakey Johnson, the founder of Shakey’s Pizza. Earnie held positions with both Shakey’s and Round table Pizza, including being the President of Round Table Pizza before founding Mountain Mike’s in 1978.
- The company grew rapidly through the early 1980’s until 1986, when it fell on difficult financial times. In 1992 the company was purchased by the current management team led by Brad Gordon and has grown since from it’s core of 50 locations to over 140 locations today.
- Mountain Mike’s restaurants offer a focused menu, which highlights its signature pizzas and reflects.
- Mountain Mike’s restaurants are typically 2,000 to 3,500 square feet and are generally located in end-cap and or in-line locations in shopping centers. Individual unit revenues range up to $ 2 million, with over 24% of units exceeding $725,000 and average unit net sales (after coupons and discounts) of over $550,000.
- Mountain Mike’s franchisees are largely owner-operator families and individuals who bring strong work ethic practices to their operations and create a highly stable and productive franchise system.
The company's success all falls on the shoulders of ours with a desire and determination to make a good pizza and a good living…….said Balbir