NRI Gov. Nikki Randhawa Haley’s husband to deploy to Afghanistan
South Carolina, July 31, 2012
Gary Singh/Gurmeet Singh
NRI South Carolina's Governor Nikki Haley Randhawa's husband Michael Haley, who is first lieutenant in the South Carolina National Guard will be deployed to Afghanistan for a year-long assignment with the National Guard in January. Michael said:
- Giving one year along with my fellow soldiers, as many have done before me, to secure a life of freedom for my family is well worth all that comes with it.
- This deployment is the reason I joined the National Guard and it is important to me to be able to give back
John Goheen, National Guard spokesman said:
- This is probably the first case of a sitting governor’s spouse being deployed to a combat zone
NRI Republican governor Nikki Haley Randhawa whose brother also served in the first Persian Gulf War, said:
- When there is any call in family, I have to response.
- She clearly admitted: Do you worry? Yes, of course you worry. All needs to be well on the home front and so we will be fine here
- Michael just needs to take care of himself when he is there to do his job
NRI Nikki Randhawa Haley is daughter of Sikh immigrant parents from Amritsar. She is first female governor of South Carolina and the second NRI, Indian American governor in the country, after Louisiana 's Bobby Jindal.