Mr. Atwal, Punjab Vidhan Sabha Speaker paid tributes to Wisconsin Sikh victims
ATWAL ALSO MET NRI COMMUNITY IN CALOFORNIA
Los Angeles, Aug.13, 2013
Punjab Vidhan Sabha Speaker Charanjit Singh Atwal and Taranjit Singh Sandhu, Deputy Chief of Mission, Embassy of India in Washington, represented India in a function organised to pay tributes to the Sikhs who were killed at a gurdwara in Oak Creek, Wisconsin. Wade Michael Page, a white supremacist had opened fire on devotees in the gurdwara on Aug. 5, 2012, killed six persons in the firing, wounded two others and a police officer. Charanjit Singh Atwal spoke at the Aug. 4 divaan at the gurdwara commemorating the first anniversary of the shooting, and said:
- Sikhs had made a significant contributions in the development of the US.
- Efforts had been made to eliminate racial discrimination and hate crimes but still hate crime mongers were active in the country
- The US administration ended the situation…, pacifying the feelings of the Sikh community in their hour of crisis by instilling the sense of confidence and security among the Sikhs settled in the USA. It was really incredible.
- I would also like to salute (Lt.) Brian Murphy, a heroic police officer who was shot (12) times as he responded to the horrific shooting at this gurdwara. This officer has set an example of bravery and humanism by his act......Gary Singh
Charanjit Singh Atwal met Los Angeles NRI Community on Aug 06
By Col. Raj Sohi
Gurdishpal singh (Paul) well known Entrepreneur, running some businesses in food industry and Shining Star Politician, organized the dinner at Tandoor restaurant in the city of Anaheim, on August 6, 2013 honoring Charanjit Singh Atwal by inviting 100s business owners and NRI community leaders.
Doctor Harvinder Sahota emceed the proceedings that started at sharp 8 PM. He gave a brief on the goings on in the community including a recently established Sikh Studies Chair at Clairemont University.
Mr. Anand Jha , s. Gurpal singh Thind, Dr. Harvinder singh Sahota ,s. Harminder singh sarpanch ,dr charnjit singh Atwal speaker Punjab vidhan sahba ,Mr. ram lok , Gurdishpal singh , Jaswant singh
Mr Atwal spoke very passionately about his childhood hardships, humble upbringing and the partition of India and Pakistan in 1947. He reminisced his childhood days in pre partitioned Pakistan. and said that he was very fortunate to have been elected as an MLA, MP and eventually being elected as Deputy Speaker of Lok Sabha
He laid special emphasis on the primary school level education of Punjabi children. In order to make a strong foundation of future young Punjabi kids, he asked all Punjabi NRIs to make individual or combined deposits to the tune of about $ 3,300 or Rs 200, 000 in a bank in Punjab, with a view to adopt one Primary School in Punjab. With the interest accrued on this amount, extra teachers could be hired to improve the standard of education
Ms Breanna, Head of the established department also gave brief details of this program which would help future scholars of Sikh studies.....Read
Besides others, those who welcomed the Speaker and spoke on the occasion were Harry Sidhu, ex-Mayor Pro Tem Anaheim and Roy Roy, father of prominent US Congressman Ed Royce..........Read
Assemblyman Dan Logue, R-Loma Rica honors Charanjit Singh Atwal
By Gary Singh & Karanjit Singh Talwandi:
Sacramento: Assemblyman Dan Logue, R-Loma Rica, took the lead in honoring Charanjit Singh Atwal, the speaker of the Punjab Assembly, on the floor of the state Assembly.
Sikh community leaders Caharanjit S. Bath, Didar Singh Bains of Yuba City and Mayor Amarpreet Dhaliwal of San Joaquin also accompanied Charanjit Atwal
"We will be helping to continue to highlight the significant contributions that members of the Sikh community have made to this state and the country as a whole," said Dan Logue
About Charanjit Singh Atwal:
He was born on March 15,1937, LLB degree from Punjab and graduated from GGN Khalsa College, Ludhiana
- Mr Charanjit S. Atwal is speaker of Punjab Legislative Assembly.
- He was deputy speaker of the 14th Lok Sabha of India
- 1997-2002: Speaker of the Punjab Assembly
- 1985-1989: Member of the Lok Sabha
- 1997-2000: He was Chairman of the Committee on Welfare of Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes and Backward Classes.
- 1975-77: He was jailed during emergency