Newborn declared dead by New Delhi Max hospital, found alive by parents before burial
In a clear case of medical negligence, doctors at Max Super Specialty Hospital at Shalimar Bagh-located on Friday declared a baby dead, along with his stillborn twin, and handed the bodies over to family members in a polythene bag. The baby was found alive just moments before being buried.
New Delhi, Nov. 02,, 2017
NRIpress.club-India/Ramesh/ A.Gary Singh Grewal
- CNN REPORTED: Doctor mistakenly declares newborn dead in India
- New Delhi (CNN)A newborn in India was declared dead by a doctor, but hours later his family discovered he was breathing while they were en route to his funeral.The boy's mother gave birth to twins Thursday at the Max Super Speciality Hospital in the Indian capital of New Delhi.Doctors said one of the twins -- a baby girl -- was stillborn. They initially said the boy was in critical condition, but two hours later he was declared dead, Praveen Malik, the twin's grandfather, told CNN. The parents were on their way to a cremation ground when they noticed "some movements" inside one of the polythene bags that the hospital gave them with the babies' bodies. "When we opened the bag, we found the boy breathing. I was shocked. I couldn't believe my eyes," Malik said.......CLICK TO READ MORE
- NRIpress: Max Hospital's license will be cancelled, if required: Satyendar Jain
- New Delhi, Dec 2, 2017: Delhi Health Minister Satyendar Jain on Saturday said that strict action will be taken against city-based private Max Hospital and its licence would be cancelled if required, after the hospital declared dead a live baby, who still remained in a critical condition two days after the incident.
"When we came to know about negligence on the part of the hospital, we ordered inquiry into the same. And I want to assure all that if they don't work properly, we will cancel the licence of the hospital," Jain said.
He said the inquiry report will come by Monday.
Jain also said that a show cause notice was served to the hospital on November 22 for not treating poor patients.
In a clear case of medical negligence, doctors at Shalimar Bagh-located Max Super Specialty Hospital here on Thursday declared a baby dead, along with his stillborn twin, and handed the bodies over to family members in a polythene bag. The baby was found alive just moments before being buried.
This case prompted the Health Minister to order a probe on Friday.
A day after the incident, the baby was shifted to Aggarwal nursing home in Pitampura.
"The baby is in a critical condition now. It is supposed to be under observation for 72 hours after it got admitted at our nursing home on Friday," a doctor, who didn't want to be named, told IANS.
According to the aggrieved family, the twins were born premature. While one baby was stillborn, the other was declared dead hours later after his condition was stated to be "critical" and "unable to survive".
Max Hospital, in a statement, said: "It has been brought to our notice that a 22-week premature newborn, who is said to be on life support at a nursing home, was unfortunately handed over (as dead) ... by Max Hospital, Shalimar Bagh.
"This baby was one of the twins delivered on the morning of November 30. The other baby was stillborn.
"We are shaken and concerned at this rare incident. We have initiated a detailed inquiry, pending which the doctors concerned have been asked to proceed on leave immediately."
The hospital said it was in constant touch with the parents and ready to extend all support.
A similar incident was reported from Safdarjung Hospital in June when a newborn was found alive after doctors had declared the baby dead....IANS
Max Super Speciality hospital, Shalimar Bagh, New Delhi
- The Max Super Specialty Hospital Patparganj is located in the east of New Delhi, Shalimar Bagh, New Delhi, Delhi 110088, India and 25 km from the Indira Gandhi International Airport.
- It is a multi-specialty hospital that has been providing a high standard of patient care since 2005, NABH accredited which is the highest accreditation available to hospitals in India
- The Max Super Specialty Hospital Patparganj offers a wide range of medical specialties, including radiology, ophthalmology, cardiovascular surgery, and dermatology.
- Patients can also choose to visit the Akshardham, a Hindu temple which acts also as a spiritual-cultural campus.
If you’re interested in knowing more about medical malpractices in India’s private hospitals, you should believe this..... When you’re being discharged from a private hospital, please check whether you have your kidneys intact or not.......NRI Suman Verma