Dubai's 50,000 NRI Sikhs get first official gurdwara
Sikhs get official gurdwara in UAE
Dubai, Jan 28, 2012:
The Sikh community has got their first official gurdwara in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), a media report said Saturday.
The gurdwara opened Friday in Jebel Ali, around 35 km from Dubai, the Gulf News daily reported. Spread over 25,000 square feet near the Jebel Ali Hospital, the gurdwara has a dedicated floor for community feasts and a huge hall for devotional songs.
The Sikh community in Dubai till now offered prayers in a gurdwara in the temple complex in Bur Dubai.
There are an estimated 50,000 Sikhs in the UAE, hailing from India and Pakistan.....IANS/NRIpress.com
'official' Sikh temple in the whole of Middle East
Toronto, Nov. 14, 2009
Surender Singh Kandhari, Dubai- based industrialist who was pursuing
the matter with Dubai government to have gurdwara for long time,
got permission for building of the gurudwara. In April 2010, NRIs
in Dubai will celebrate Baisakhi.
Mr. Kandhari said:
- We really appreciate and thankful to Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid
Al Makhtoum, Vice-President and Prime Minister of UAE, who grant
permission for building of the gurudwara and provided 25400 square
feet of land free for the community. It was very hard to explain
to the officials of the Islamic Affairs Ministry even the idea
of sangat and langar.
- We told them Sikhs didn't worship idols , like in Islam, and
how the idea of the equality of man was inherent n Sikhism. We
had to translate excerpts from Gugu Granth Sahib and read out
to them and never be anti-Islam.
- Guru Nanak Darbar is fast rising from the sands of Dubai and
it would be the first official Sikh temple in the whole of Gulf
and calls, "a dream project"
- The whole project cost will be an approx US$ 20 million.
- The Gurudwara with a 125,000 square feet built-up area has three
basements, a ground floor and a terrace floor.
- The langer hall will serve more than 600 people at a time. There
is a 54-metre water body, inspired by
the sarovar at the Golden Temple and a cascade.
- The function hall can accommodate up to 900 people.
- The Palki Sahib, has a 7.2 metre high ceiling and 18-metre diameter
- For construction, the architects visit the Gurudwaras around
- Now you know why Dubai is so special. And why Guru Nanak Darbar
is special. Our dream is to make it the best after Golden Temple
We are seeking funds from the entire Sikh Community all over the
world to fulfill a Sikh dream. The Sikh community of UAE numbers
approximately 50,000. The donations are coming from Uk, USA and
Canada and we do need more support for the Gurudwara.
SGPC secretary said:
- The gurdwara will function as per the code of conduct laid
down by the SGPC.
- Our jathas will keep going there for spreading the values of
the Sikh religion
- We will extend all possible help. So far there's no demand
for finances for building the gurdwara.
UK based Richard Adams who was involved with the Shri Guru Singh
Sabha Gurudwara on the Havelock Road in Southall, London will support
Dubai based architect firm Holford Associates to constuct this Gurdwara.
Holdford Associates constructed 25 temples including 20 churches,
four mosques and one temple
Mr. Surender Singh Kandhari, chairman of Al Dobowi group, a global
player in the tire management industry with operations in Middle
East, South Asia and Europe. He is the Captain of the prestigious
Emirates Golf Club in Dubai. rope.
Dubai is one of the seven emirates and its main revenues are from
tourism, real estate and financial services. Dubai has been ruled
by the Al Maktoum dynasty since 1833. It has been builted with the
revenues from natural gas and petroleum. It shares about 6% of 37
billion emirate's economy