Los Angeles NRI community welcome congress leader Rana Gurjeet Singh
Los Angeles, July 10, 2011
Karen/ Gary Singh
"Los Angeles NRIs welcome Rana Gurjeet Singh Ex-MP (congress) and Ex-MLA of Punjab State who reached here last week. On Friday, July 08, Ravi Grewal, the most popular entrepreneur and Mr. Nijjar host a dinner in honor of congress party leader Rana Gurjeet Singh at the Torch Restaurant, 7850 Beach Blvd Buena Park, California. Torch Restaurant was rated 5 stars and best Indian Restaurant in the Local area.
Rana Gurjeet Singh’s powerful speech and his recognition that development is not only a moral imperative, but a strategic and economic imperative in India. He literally speaks to the heart of NRIs, believes in NRI’s exceptionalism, believes in the freedom and greatness of the NRI individuals and their right to make choices instead of giving the government the power to make choices for the individual. He continued to inspire NRIs (non- Indian resident) to serve the country as part of his “Rejuvenate India” campaign in US. His speech lasts around 30 minutes but is well worth the listen.
In 1960, his parents shifted to develop farming in the Tarai forests now in Uttranchal to cope up with the food scarcity. Mr. Rana developed a most modern farm at Bazpur pioneering agronomic practices, which became a benchmark for other farmers to follow.
In 1986, he migrated to Punjab to set up a Kraft based paper mill in dist. Ropar but unsuccessful. He later went on to set up a sugar mill in Buttar Seviyan, dist. Amritsar.
The terrorism was at peak after 1984 and most of the existing industry had come to a halt or had shifted their operations to safer places in the neighboring states. Most of the friends and entrepreneurs made a joke for his decision to set up a Sugar Mill complex in district of Amritsar by providing direct employment to around 3000 people largely from rural background.
This is the reason, in 2002, as a successful industrialist Rana Gurjeet decided to join active politics and placed his services at the disposal of Indian National Congress, which contested him from Kapurthala Constituency in Assembly elections.
Rana Gurjeet Singh, 58, was a member of the 14th Lok Sabha of India and represented the Jalandhar constituency of Punjab. · Rana has built a political career for himself when he won his first M.L.A. election in Kapurthala, Punjab.
- 2002-2004: Member, Punjab Legislative Assembly- Kapurthala, Punjab
- 2004 -2009: Member Parliament Jalandhar Lok Sabha Constituency, Punjab
- 2004-2009: Member, Parliamentary Committee on Industry
- 2004-2009: Member, Parliamentary Committee on Local Area Development
- Sugarcane Control Board, Department of Agriculture, Government of Punjab
- Steering Committee for Conservation and Management of Harike Ropar Wetlands, Department of Science, Technology & Environment, Government of Punjab for a period of 3 years from July 2003
- Governing Body Member of Pushpa Gujral Science City, Kapurthala 2003-05.
- Senate Member, Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar, 2002-2003.
- In 2007 his wife Rana Rajbans Kaur won the Assembly elections from Kapurthala
- Rana Gurjeet as a MP, helped to set up of Civil Airport at Ludhiana, Central Educational Institutes of Excellence, Express Highways, getting Rs.100 crore Corpus Fund for Punjab Agriculture University, Introduction of BT Cotton, Four-laning of Jalandhar-Amritsar highway, and Upgrading of Amritsar International Airport, Extension of Science City, Kapurthala, cleaning of the sacred river of Kali Bein etc.
- Rana Gurjeet took major steps to give a Metropolitan look to the city of Jalandhar by pushing up construction of Rail Over Bridges (ROBs), up-gradation of Public facilities at Jalandhar Railway Station.
- He was instrumental in presenting a proposal for 21 Kapurthala villages for covering under PURA Project to translate President Dr. Abdul Kalam’s Vision to provide Urban Amenities to Rural Areas. The Project, the first of its kind a North India was posed to State Government for onward submission to the Govt. of India
Today the Rana Group is well diversified with presence in Sugar, Distillery, Textile, Power Generation and Information Technology sectors in Punjab and Uttar Pradesh.