NRI Gurpreet Singh owner of a liquor store in Downey, California, shot dead
Los Angeles, May 13, 2019
NRIpress.club/Ramesh/ A.Gary Singh
NRI , Gurpreet Singh of Cerritos, 44, Navy reservist, owner of ASL Liquor and Market in the 8500 block of Paramount Boulevard, Downey, was found shot dead about 10:15 on May 7. Singh was working alone at the time.
Late Thursday, police released images of the suspects along with video footage from the store’s surveillance camera. Security camera video from a nearby business shows two men running from the market in different directions.
Suspect in Deadly Store Robbery in Custody After Pursuit Ends With Shootout
On May 10, the chase began, originated with Downey police pursuing a Toyota Prius with two people inside. It was is believed to be the suspect who allegedly shot and killed a liquor store co-owner in Downey.
During the pursuit, on streets in Commerce and Vernon, the passenger in the Toyota leaned out of the car’s window and fired at pursuing officers.
- At 2:45 p.m, the vehicle came to a stop in traffic in the area of Bandini Boulevard and Downey Road, where the male (suspect of Gurpret Singh) passenger in the Prius again began firing at officers
- Bullets struck two Downey police vehicles and No law enforcement officers appeared to have been injured in the shooting.
- The female driver of the Prius got out and appeared to have blood on her. She was struck by gunfire.
- The passenger, Suspect of Gurpret Singh, remained in the car and appeared that the suspect lying motionless in the passenger seat.
- A bomb squad robot was sent but the suspect remained inside.
- Around 4:30 p.m, A police dog was sent into the car open driver-side door but no reaction from the suspect
- The sheriff's Special Enforcement Bureau deputies approached the vehicle and dragged the suspect, who was not moving
- He was then placed into an ambulance and was transported to a local hospital
No law enforcement officers appeared to have been injured in the shooting. A bystander in a pickup truck suffered a grazing wound during the gunfight at the end of the chase, officials said. It was not clear whether the person was struck by police gunfire or a bullet fired by the suspect.
Next day, Customers outside the store get together and said: “Gurpreet Singh, Navy reservist was a sweetheart and kind to everybody. It's horrible and this is a shock.”
A small candle vigil was also seen outside the store as mourners left candles in memory of the Gurpreet.
|Gurpreet Singh with his wife and two sons.Gurpreet Singh was a much-loved in local and NRI community and he left behind a wife and two sons, ages 10 and 16 years old
Funeral Held for Gurpreet Singh, Downey Liquor Store Owner Shot to Death During Robbery