NY Woman Accused of Keeping NRI Illegal Immigrant as ‘slave’ maid
New York, March 02, 2012
Annie George, NY Woman, 39, who lives in a 34-room, 30,000 sq. ft. mansion, has been arrested for keeping Illegal Immigrant from India as Servant. She made to work 17 hours a day, seven days a week and was paid about 85 cents an hour.
US Federal authorities accused Annie George of breaking immigration rules by keeping the Illegal Immigrant from the state of Kerala, identified only as V.M. and a servant in a forced labor situation for six years. A nine-page complaint has been filed against Annie George.
Annie George promised V.M., as servant:
- To pay $1,000 a month in 2005
- She was paid only 85 cents an hour equal to $29,000 altogether while suppose to pay her around out $206,000.
Annie George allegedly made the woman cook meals, clean the 30,000-square-foot estate and care for the family’s six children, according to a federal criminal complaint.George has not been charged with slavery and was released on her own recognizance Tuesday on charges of encouraging an illegal alien to live in the United States.
Annie George's husband George Kolath, and eldest son died in a plane crash.in June 2009
According to investigators:
- V.M. told them through a Hindi-speaking translator that she communicated with George, her husband and other family members in Malayam, an Indian dialect common to the Kerala region, where she and the couple came from. V.M. said she could not drive and seldom left the residence, and that her own family didn't visit from India.
- We just dispute what's alleged in the complaint. There's several exaggerations, gross errors
- A labor department assessment indicated V.M. was lawfully entitled to about $77,000 for her last two years of employment and about $206,000 for the approximately six years.
CLICK TO SEE VIDEO